To the 80th anniversary of the doctor-specialist Shirinbek Davlatmamadov – surgeon, phytotherapist, researcher, honored worker of the Republic of Tajikistan
Shirinbek Davlatmamadov was born on March 15, 1939 in the village of Avj, Ishkashim district of Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region.
In 1947-1953 he received primary and secondary education in Avj, Mulvadzh, Ryn, Kozidekh and Shambedeh villages. In 1956 he finished the 10th grade at the state boarding school of the Gissar district. In 1956 – 1957 he worked as a typesetter in «By the way of communism» newspaper typography of the Ishkashim district.
In 1958 he entered Avicenna Tajik State Medical University and graduated in 1964. Then, he returned to Ishkashim to work as a surgeon. Meanwhile, due to the lack of specialists in this regional hospital, besides surgery, he was engaged in pediatrics, internal diseases and other areas of medicine..
From 02/01 to 07/01/1965 he takes courses in advanced training in the field of traumatology at the Faculty of Advanced Studies of Avicenna Tajik State Medical University. In 1967 – 1969 he graduated a residency in mentioned University at the Department of General Surgery and returned to the Ishkashim district to continue work in the specialty.
On September 18, 1973, Shirinbek Davlatmamadov was awarded the title of surgeon of the first degree by Health Ministry of Tajik SSR.
In 1974, as an expert surgeon, he got a job at the regional hospital in Khorog.
Taking into account the professional and organizational skills of Shirinbek Davlatmamadov, in 1983, the Department of Health Protection of the region and the administration of the hospital, appointed him the deputy head physician of the regional hospital, where he performed healing, organizational and methodological duties.
During his professional career, he has taken courses in emergency surgery: retraining and advanced training courses for doctors of the Central, Order of Lenin, Moscow Research Center( 1974), advanced training for doctors of the Central Tbilisi Research Center( (1979), and advanced training for doctors of the Moscow Research Center (1985), advanced training of doctors of the Kazan Research Center (1989).
On October 10, 1979, doctor Shirinbek Davlatmamadov was awarded the title of surgeon of the highest category, from the Health Ministry of Tajik SSR.
Under the leadership of Shirinbek Davlatmamadov, the following treatment and diagnostic principles were introduced in the Khorog regional hospital for the first time: laparoscopy, capillaroscopy, surgical autoplasty methods, nephropexy, sympathectomy, intravenous injection, hernia alloplastic surgery with a nylon thread, phlebectomy and nephrectomy. He brought up a lot of specialists.
For the preparation of nursing staff at the Medical College of Khorog and for raising the level of knowledge of the nursing staff in regional hospital, he established the competition “The Best Brother of Compassion” (Bekhtarin hamshirai and shafkat)
Dr. Shirinbek Davlatmamadov, throughout his many years of work, has grown up a generation of professional surgeons. He has repeatedly appeared on the pages of newspapers not only at regional level, but also on the pages of the all-Union medical journals: Clinical Surgery (Clinicheskaya Hirurgiya) (Kiev), Morphology (Novosibirsk) and Tajikistan Health (Zdorovie Tajikistana) (Dushanbe). He published more than 15 scientific articles in these popular journals, which is quite rare for a doctor from the highlands.
As a practitioner of scientific medicine and a connoisseur of traditional one, he first published a scientific book about mineral waters of Badakhshan, entitled “Healing mineral springs of Pamir” (Lechebnie mineralnie istochniki Pamira) (Irfon, 1994). In 2006, this book was supplemented and translated into Tajik (“Chashmakhoi madanii darmonbakhshi Badakhshon”), and in 2010-2011 both of these books have been re-published.
In 1992, Shirinbek Davlatmamadov became the chief doctor of the health sanatory Avj, which he modified into a Health Center. There he established balneological, phytotherapeutic and physiotherapeutic methods of treatment.
Dr. Shirinbek Davlatmamadov, being an honorary member of the Association of herbalists and traditional healers of the Republic of Tajikistan, participated at II-nd (2007) and III-rd (2008) International Congress of Herbalists and Traditional Healers of the Republic of Tajikistan. At the presidium of III-rd congress, in June 2008 he was elected as a head of the Association of herbalists and folk healers of the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region.
In a new position, he participated at IV-th (2010) Congress and next one, which were held in Khujand and Dushanbe cities, and was awarded the honorary title of “Best Folk Healer” (Bekhtarin Tabibi Mardumi) (2010, 2012)
In 2009, he completed a retraining course “Medicine of the Peoples of the East” (Tibbi Khalkii Shark) pecializing in “Herbal medicine”, at the Republican Center for Scientific and Clinical Medicine of the Health Ministry of Tajikistan.
Since November 2006, Shirinbek Davlatmamadov has been the director of «Jamshed» limited liability company, currently «Jamshed-1», and since September 2010, he is the director of the «Gulu Giyoh» public organization.
In 2011, as a researcher, he participated in the international Congress “Agricultural change – biology and food independence” in Sweden. Now, as a phytotherapeutist, he works closely with specialists from Estonia and Poland.
Under the leadership of Shirinbek Davlatmamadov, were made significant studies of the history, ethnography, and bioculture of Ishkashim disctrict people, and the results of these studies were printed and distributed books as (Badakhshan Medicinal Plants and their use) “Nabototi darmonbakhshi Badakhshon va istifodabarii onho” (2012), “Remuzluftuk” (folklore in Ishkashim-language), “Ganjinai Goronzamin” (Irfon, 2014) (folklore of the Horon Valley inhabitants), (Treatment with honey and beekeeping products) “Tabobat bo asal va mavodi zanburparvari (2015),“ Hik rasmish” (2015) (ceremonies of the Wakhan Valley), “Vuh diyer ganj. Ganji Vakhonzamin” (2016) (folklore in Wakhan-language), (National cuisine of Badakhshan) “Taomhoi millii Badakhshon” (2017), (Phytotherapeutist’s handbook) “Dasturamali gyohpizishk ”(2017), (Atlas of Medicinal Plants of Badakhshan) “Giyohnomai Badakhshon” (2018). These books were highly appreciated by specialists of the Republican Academy of Sciences, culture experts and a wide network of readers. There is a book (Encyclopedia of Traditional Medicine) “Donishnomaii Tibbi Mardumi” at the stage of final editing now and should be published in 2019.
Taking into account the merits and contribution of Shirinbek Davlatmamadov to the medicine development, the leadership of the country and relevant ministries awarded him the following titles: “Excellence in Public Health of the USSR” (1979), “Excellence in Sanitary Protection of the USSR” (1973, 1978), “Excellence in the Border Troops of the USSR” (twice), Order of the Red Flag of Labor (1986), Labor Veteran Medal (1989), badge and «Diploma of the Committee of Trade Unions of Medical Workers of the Republic»; “Honored Worker of the Republic of Tajikistan” (2002), “Hippocratic Medal” of the Academy of Sciences of the Russian Federation (2013)
Taking an active part in the political and social life of the region, Dr. Shirinbek Davlatmamadov was elected to the deputies of the regional council. Now Dr. Shirinbek Davlatmamadov is a pensioner of republican significance, he is known not only in the region of GBAO, but also in the whole republic and abroad.
- Some issues of acute appendicitis in old age (Nekotorie voprosi ostrogo appendicita v pojilom I preklonnom vozraste). In the book. “Diagnostics and tactics of treatment of emergency diseases in surgery, traumatology and pediatric surgery.” (Diagnostika I taktika lecheniya ekstrennih zabolevanii v hirurgii, travmatologii I detskoy hirurgii) Dushanbe, 1969
- Myxoma of the small intestine. (Miksoma tonkoy kishki) “Tajikistan Health”. 1969, No4
- Inversion of the greater omentum. (Zavorot bolshogo salnika) “Health of Tajikistan”, 1977, No4, 52 p.
- Statistical data on burns from the Khorog Regional Hospital. (Statisticheskie danni ob ojogah, po materialam Horogskoi Oblastnoi Bolnici) “Tajikistan Health Care, 1977, No1, 32 pp.
- Treatment of patients with foreign bodies in the digestive tract. (Lechenie bolnih s inorodnimi telami v pishevaritelnom trakte) “Health Tajikistan ”, 1978, No2, 56 pp.
- About the genital foreign staff of the gastrointestinal tract. (Ob ostrokonechnih inorodnih telah jelydochno-kishechnogo trakta) “ClinicalSurgery “, Kiev, 1979, No5, 64 pp.
- Migrate the swallowed needle into the thigh. (Migraciya proglochennoi igli v bedro) “Tajikistan Health Care”, 1980, No1 90 page
- Analysis of the treatment of acute appendicitis. (Analiz lecheniya ostrogo appendicita) “Health of Tajikistan”, 1983, No1, 49 page
- Pointed and foreign bodies of the gastrointestinal tract. (Ostrokonechnie I inorodnie tela jeludochno kishechnogo trakta) “Health Tajikistan ”, 1978.
- Clinical, anthropological and morphological study of acute appendicitis. Functional morphology. Abstracts of the All-Union Conference. (Cliniko-antropologicheskoe I morfologicheskoe izuchenie ostrogo appendicita.) 1984 Novosibirsk
- Some prospects for further development of the Pamir mineral sources. (Nekotorie perspectivi dalneishego osvoeniya mineralnih istochnikov Pamira) “Tajikistan Health”.
- Healing mineral springs of the Pamir. (Lechebnie mineralnie istochniki Pamira) Dushanbe, 1994. Second edition, 2010, 216 p.
- Mineral springs of Badakhshan. (Mineralnie istochniki Badakhshana) In the book. Study of the natural environment space tools. Collection of Scientific Papers, Issue 2, Dushanbe, 2005
- Healing mineral springs of the Pamirs (Chashmakoi darmonbakhshi Badakhshon), “Nodir”, 2006. Second edition 2012.
- Assessment of the severity of the condition in surgery. Tradition and modernity. (Ocenka tyajesti sostoyaniya v herurgii. Tradiciya i sovremennost) (Literature review), “Tajikistan Healthcare”, 2007, No4
- Medicinal plants of Badakhshan and their use (Nabototi darmonbakhshi Badakhshon va istifodabarii onho). Irfon, Dushanbe, 2012, 144 page
- Adhesion treatment (Gildarmoni). Ishkoshim-Khorugh, 2014, 48 pp.
- Treatment with honey and bee products (Tabobat bo asal va mavodi zanbarparvari), Dushanbe, 2014.
- Calendar of the collection of medicinal plants Badakhshan (Takvimi jamovarii nabototi darmonbahshi Badakhshon), 2015
- National cuisine of Badakhshan (Taomnomai millii Badakhshon). Polygraph-groups, Dushanbe, 2017, 41 pp.
- Phytotherapist Handbook (Dasturamali giyohpizishk). Irfon, Dushanbe, 2017, 256 pp.
- Atlas of medicinal plants of Badakhshan (Giyoаnomai Badakhshon). Polygraph-groups, Dushanbe, 2018, 224 pages.
- Encyclopedia of traditional medicine (being prepared for publication) (Donishnomaii Tibbi Mardumi), 2019